← Back to news listing
Staying safe this summer
Posted 17 Feb 2017
The summer season means longer days and more sunshine but it can also bring extreme heat, fire and storms. Here are some tips to make your summer safe and enjoyable.
- Be prepared with an emergency plan. Decide in advance where you will go and who you will contact in an emergency. The Red Cross has an online tool, Rediplan, to help you develop your own plan: http://www.redcross.org.au/prepare.aspx
- Call 000 in an emergency or contact the team at Australian Home Care Services on 1300 303 770 if you need some general advice.
- Stay aware of the conditions. Listen to your local radio for fire, storm and weather warnings. For details of fire events, visit http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me for NSW and http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/ for Victoria.
- Visit http://www.mfb.vic.gov.au/Community/Home-Safety/Booklet.html for general advice about fire safety in the home.
- Remember that heat can be dangerous. On extremely hot days, keep your house cool and stay indoors if possible. Use air conditioners or fans, drink plenty of water and limit your physical activity.